A disciplined and flexible approach is important and enables
Rural Sector Solutions is able to provide a bespoke service to help you develop, plan and deliver your major projects and achieve timely and cost-effective outcomes.
Hadlow College and Princess Christian’s Farm
Princess Christian’s Farm is a traditional Wealden grass farm in Hildenborough, near Tonbridge in Kent. It’s a well-established vocational facility for adults with learning disabilities and is owned by Kent County Council.
Between autumn 2008 and summer 2010 I acted as Project Manager on behalf of Hadlow College for the development of a partnership with Kent County Council to run Princess Christian’s Farm on a long-term lease. Using the college’s specialised land-based expertise on both a commercial and social development level were major drivers for this initiative.
I had joint responsibility for the major elements of the process, including project planning and management, co-ordinating legal and HR issues, financial and professional planning and relationship management.
This major project has lead to:
- A stable long-term partnership which has secured the future of the farm.
- Major investment in facilities.
- A more commercial approach resulting in revenue streams which will support on-going maintenance and development of facilities.
- An upgraded and modernised small farm ‘fit-for-purpose’ for the needs of its clients.
- A culture change in the way the farm is run resulting in a high level of involvement in the day-to-day running of the farm.
- Integration of Princess Christian’s and Hadlow College students in a positive learning environment.
- Access to a broader range of vocational and educational opportunities for Princess Christian clients.
To find out more about Hadlow College, view their site at www.hadlow.ac.uk.
(Images courtesy of Hadlow College)
Stuart was integral to the success of this project. His relationship management skills were particularly valuable and ensured we were able to maintain an effective dialogue with everyone involved, in particular managing expectations and timetables leading to a very positive end result.
Director of Finance and Resources, Hadlow College